Join MAD on the Alta Via N.1, the classic high route of the Dolomites!
You’ll revel in 6 days of hiking through some of the most breathtaking scenery in these incredible Italian Alps. This is the perfect quick trip for those looking for a classic trek but who are short on time!
Ready to secure your spot?
June 25th – July 2nd 2019
Now: Pay for your deposit of $250 (This first payment goes towards your fundraising goal of $1,000 and is refundable up to 24-hours after you make the payment.) We will send you a link for payment after you register.
Note: To join us on this charity trek, you must be 18 years of age or have a guardian with you.
Payments by check can be sent to:
Make A Difference
1775 W. State St. #329
Boise, ID 83702
Please make sure you include a note that money is for MAD Dolomites Hike 2019.
- Day 1 Arrive on own with overnight in Venice (4 star hotel included)
- Day 2 Guided walking tour (2 hours) and boat tour (1 hour) of Venice. (4 star hotel included).
- Day 3 Cortina d’Ampezzo, Dolomites Transfer to Cortina d’Ampezzo (1,224m / 4,016′) and check into your hotel. Cortina d’Ampezzo is a charming alpine resort town surrounded by stunning peaks. Host to the 1956 Winter Olympics, Cortina enjoys a reputation for great skiing in winter, and in the summer attracts hikers and climbers who challenge the rocky faces of the nearby mountains. This chic Venetian town also caters to the high society crowd, offering many year-round social activities, shopping, and fine dining. … Hotel in Cortina d’Ampezzo (4-Star)
- Day 4 From Lago di Braies to Sennes Starting at a beautiful alpine lake set amidst forest and soaring Dolomite peaks, this is a thrilling opening to Alta Via N.1. It entails a straightforward steady climb to a high altitude plateau with wide reaching vistas. Take a private 50 minutes transfer to Lago di Braies (1,494m / 4,901′) and start a 800m / 2,625′ climb on a well-trodden path following a scree river colonized by dwarf mountain pines. Marvelous views open over Val Foresta and its peaks. Enter the Natural Park of Dolomiti d’Ampezzo: the panorama is vast and breathtaking. Reach your home for tonight. There is an optional additional hike to the top of the Col di Lasta (2,997m / 7,536′). (~5 hours hiking, 13,3km / 8,3 miles, 1,179m / 3,871′ ascent, 718m / 2,358′ descent. Additional hike 2km / 1,2 miles, 210m / 689′ ascent, 33m / 108′ descent one way.) B,D… Rifugio
- Day 5 Altopiano di Fanes Departing your rifugio this morning, you’ll hike downhill towards Rifugio Pederù (1,548m / 5,079′). The trail travels on a steep dirt road for 40 minutes (the last part of the road approaching the rifugio is a 20% slope). From Rifugio Pederù, hike uphill in the direction of Lago di Limo. When you reach Lake Lé Piciodel you’ll hike through a charming landscape studded with little lakes and rounded mountain-tops along the Ru d’Al Plan River. At the fork, continue toward your rifugio for tonight. Located just beneath the Limo Pass, you’ll have a splendid view of the Tofane Mountains. (~4 hours hiking 7,4km / 4,6 miles, 700m / 2,298′ ascent, 599m / 1,966′ descent.) B,D… Rifugio
- Day 6 Cime di Fanis & Lagazuoi Massif Today is a lovely hike through the Altopiano di Fanes to the Lagazuoi Massif. You’ll enjoy beautiful panoramas of the Western Dolomites and the Marmolada Massif, the “Queen of the Dolomites.” From your rifugio, Alta Via N.1 continues through the beautiful high meadow and karst formations, climbing to the Forcella del Lago, a narrow and dramatic gap in the mountain with a trail descent through steep talus on the south side. At the base of the slope is the lake called Lago di Lagazuoi whose green waters are framed by pines with a backdrop of the sheer walls of the Cima del Lago and the Cima Scotoni. B,D… Rifugio
- Day 7 Cinque Torri This stage is of great interest for both the spectacular mountains around and the abundance of reminders of the terrible years of WWI, due to the vicinity of the former border between the long-dismantled Hapsburg Empire and Italy. Hike a memorable traverse below the awesome Tofana di Rozes, ascending Forcella Lagazuoi (2,573m / 8,442′), Forcella Travenanzes (2,507m / 8,225′) and Forcella Col dei Bos (2,331m / 7,648′) and gradually descend along the line of trenches. Reach the main road that goes from Cortina to Passo Falzarego, cross it and climb through forests to the fascinating, renowned Cinque Torri area and its rifugios. From here the incredible vistas around, including the Pale di San Martino, Civetta, Monti del Sole and the Marmolada with its shrinking glacier. Take some time to relax, and in the afternoon descend to the south to Passo Giau (2,236m / 7,336′) from where you will have a private transfer back to Cortina. (~6-7 hours hiking 17,7km / 10,9 miles, 1,103m / 3,621′ ascent, 1,541m / 5,058′ descent, option for a shorter hike, using the Lagazuoi cable car, not included.) B… Hotel in Cortina d’Ampezzo (4-Star)
- Day 8 Depart Breakfast and departure on your own (private transfer on request).
1.970€ per person or $2,300 per person in USD These prices include:
- 2 overnights in 4-Star hotel in Venice
- Guided tour of the city (2 hours walking + 1 hour boat)
- Private group water transfer from the hotel in Venice to Piazzale Roma
- Private group transfer by van from Piazzale Roma to Cortina d’Ampezzo
- Trip briefing
- Logistics and maps of the area
- 2 overnights in 4-Star hotel in Cortina d’Ampezzo
- 3 overnights in charming rifugios (shared dormitories)
- All breakfasts and dinners
- Local English speaking professional UIAGM/IFMGA mountain guide for 4 days
- Private transfer from Cortina to the start point of the hike
- Private transfer from the end point of the hike to Cortina
- Private group transfer from Cortina to the airport of Venice
- Tourist tax
- Italian VAT tax Single supplement: 470€ per person (for the 7 nights) Private room supplement (recommended by last group) for the rifugios: 15€ per person and per night (if available at the moment of booking)
Duffel bag transfer to the 3 rifugios: 550€ for the whole group (regardless the number of the participants) The 4-Star hotels in Venice just have double rooms single use and they ask the full payment of the room, that’s why the single supplement is expensive. It would be better to share the room with somebody (just for the 2 nights in Venice) Private transfer from the airport to the hotel in Venice isn’t included, as participants will arrive with different flights. Transfers can be arranged on request.
+ Fundraising Requirement
- In addition to the cost of the trip you will be required to raise a minimum of $1000 for our education endowment by April 1st
- All money raised will be used to support the the vulnerable children MAD helps
- There are numerous ways to fundraise for your trip. To learn more, visit our fundraising page.
To ensure that your time with MAD is enjoyable and free from worries, MAD has made travel insurance compulsory for all programs and events. This must be purchased on your own. Without limitation, MAD is not responsible for any injury, damage, loss of property or delays during your stay.
*Travel Insurance is manditory
Ready to make a payment or pay remaining balance?
Now: Secure your accommodation, a 30% deposit ($750) is due to secure your accommodation in the Dolomites.
By January 1st: The remainder of your hiking fee, $1,550 is due.
By April 1st: The remainder of your fundraising goal, $750 is due.
* You can make a payment, pay remaining balance, and attach documents.
Note: Dates and fundraising minimums are subject to change. Please confirm with us before you purchase your flight.