Join our staff and the CEO of Premier Chess, a USA national master, in a cultural immersion leadership program to Tanzania, Africa.
Help us teach chess amongst the stunning view of Africa’s highest peak, Kilimanjaro! Learn Swahili and experience a day in the life of a local. This trip is for chess players of all levels and ages who enjoy learning about other cultures and giving back.
Trip Dates: Jul 11, 2019 - Jul 18, 2019
Optional Safari Add On: Experience Lake Manyara & Ngorongoro Crater (lodging will be at hotels). This is not included in the trip cost.
Please read the following information on what to expect from your trip.
If you have any questions make sure to visit our contact page.
+ Trip Itinerary
DAY 1: Airport pickup and transfer to Make A Difference’s guesthouse in Moshi.
DAY 2: Orientation, preparation for chess training and tour of a school.
DAY 3: Culture day: Visit the gates of Kilimanjaro, learn about the Chagga culture and go on a short hike within a village.
DAY 4: Intro to Swahili and afternoon teaching chess.
DAY 5: Experience a day in the life of one of our youth within their villages while teaching chess.
DAY 6: Morning Swahili review. More teaching.
DAY 7: Chess tournament and African sendoff by students. Orientation for safari.
Optional $540 Safari Add On:
- DAY 8 - 10: Experience Lake Manyara & Ngorongoro Crater (lodging will be at hotels). This is not included in the trip cost.
All participants will raise a minimum of $1250. This money will be used to directly support the children we help. The money is used for school supplies, three meals a day, lodging for the year, as well as paying their school tuitions. Most people set up fundraising pages to reach their fundraising goal. You can set up your fundraising page here.
+ Trip Cost
- Early Bird Special: Register and pay for your trip by February 1, 2019 and pay $500 (US)/person, $250 less than the regular price (price contingent on 6 or more people and are subject to change). Use promo code: CHES when you register and pay the deposit to receive discount.
- Regular Price: Register and pay after February 1st 2019 and cost is $750 (US)/person (price contingent on 6 or more people and are subject to change).
- Buddy Discount: If you bring two friends, your program is free.
Before you leave on your journey, consider purchasing a MAD hat or bag and help educate a child. Shop and Make a Difference
*Fundraising is REQUIRED (see Fundraising)
- Three Meals a Day for Seven Days
- Accommodation at MAD’s guest house
- Staff: Guide, Swahili Teacher, Cook, and Driver
- CEO of Premier Chess, a USA national master
- All transport (airport pickup and drop off) and daily transports
- Entrance fees for cultural excursions
- Scholarship fund
- Chess sets
Cost does not include:
- International airline travel
- Safari. The price of the safari is $540 extra for two days with hotel stay and airport drop off on last day. Our safari partner will bill you directly. This price is based on a minimum of 6 people.
Payments by check can be sent to:
Make A Difference 1775 W. State St. #329 Boise, ID 83702 USA
- Please include a note on all checks stating money is for MAD Chess Trip 2019.
Without limitation, MAD is not responsible for any injury, damage, loss of property or delays during your stay. To ensure that your time with MAD is enjoyable and free from worries, MAD has made travel insurance compulsory for all programs and events. The insurance must be purchased on your own. Travel insurance is manditory.
Reserve your spot now!
First Move: Register and pay deposit of $250 immediately, in order to save your spot (Refundable only if within 24-hours after payment.)
Note: All participants under 18 must have a guardian accompany them or a letter from their guardian stating it is okay for them to go on the trip alone.
2. Pay remaining balance.
Final Move: Pay your remaining balance due on May 11th 2019.
Go here and Learn about Premier Chess.
Dates and fundraising minimums are subject to change. Please confirm with us before you purchase your flight.