Teach Chess in Africa
Join our Make A Difference staff and the CEO of Premier Chess, a USA national master, in a cultural immersion leadership program to Tanzania, Africa. This trip is for chess players of all levels and ages who enjoy learning about other cultures and giving back.
Reserve your spot now!
First Move: Register and pay deposit of $250 immediately, in order to save your spot (Refundable only if within 24-hours after payment.)
Note: All participants under 18 must have a guardian accompany them or a letter from their guardian stating it is okay for them to go on the trip alone.
*Dates and fundraising minimums are subject to change. Please confirm with us before you purchase your flight.
+ Trip Itnerary:
- DAY 1: Airport pickup and transfer to Make A Difference’s guesthouse in Moshi.
- DAY 2: Orientation, preparation for chess training and tour of school
- DAY 3: Culture day: Visit the gates of Kilimanjaro, learn about the Chagga culture and go on a short hike within a village
- DAY 4: Intro to Swahili and afternoon teaching chess
- DAY 5: Experience a day in the life of one of our youth within their villages while teaching chess
- DAY 6: Morning Swahili review. More teaching.
- DAY 7: Chess tournament and African sendoff by students. Orientation for safari.
Optional $950 Safari Add On:
- DAY 8 -10: Experience Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater and Tarangerie (lodging will be at hotels). This is not included in the trip cost.
+ Cost of Trip:
- Early Bird Special: Register and pay for your trip by February 1st 2020 and pay $500 (US)/person $250 less than the regular price (price contingent on 6 or more people and are subject to change). Use promo code: CHES when you register and pay deposit to receive discount.
- Regular Price: Register and pay after February 1st 2020 and cost is $750 (US)/person (price contingent on 6 or more people and are subject to change).
Before you leave on your journey, consider purchasing a MAD hat or bag and help educate a child.Shop and Make a Difference
*Fundraising is REQUIRED (see Fundraising below)
- Three Meals a Day for Seven Days
- Accommodation at MAD’s guest house
- Staff: Guide, Swahili Teacher, Cook, and Driver
- CEO of Premier Chess, a USA national master
- All transport (airport pickup and drop off) and daily transports
- Entrance fees for cultural excursions
- Scholarship fund
- Chess sets
Cost does not included:
- International airline travel
- Safari. The price of the safari is $950 extra for three days with hotel stay and airport drop off on last day. Our safari partner will bill you directly. This price is based on a minimum of 9 people.
Payments by check can be sent to:
Make A Difference 1775 W. State St. #329 Boise, ID 83702 USA
- Please include a note on all checks stating money is for MAD Chess Trip 2019.
All participants will raise a minimum of $1250. This money will be used to help us buy the children we help: school supplies, three meals a day, lodging for the year as well as pay for their school tuitions. Most people setup fundraising pages to reach their fundraising goal. You can set up your fundraising page here.
+ Travel Insurance:
Without limitation, MAD is not responsible for any injury, damage, loss of property or delays during your stay. To ensure that your time with MAD is enjoyable and free from worries, MAD has made travel insurance compulsory for all programs and events. This must be purchased on your own. Travel insurance is manditory